CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday 4 November 2010

Dracula - Bram Stoker

Audience -13+
Rating - **
Will it grip you? Yes, at the start...

This book had so much potential. I absolutely loved the first few chapters. They were so exciting! There was tension, and it was genuinely scary.

But as soon as the action moved away from Harker (one of the main characters) it got dull, tied up in it's own story and it's seemingly never ending looking for proof for the existence of Dracula, even though it's staring them in face.

Perhaps if they had done more doing than sitting around endlessly talking about what they could be doing, Dracula could have been killed a hell of a lot faster.

Everyone knows the story of Dracula. Crazed vampire who hungers for every one's blood, except he starts messing with the wrong people. They then go on a hugely overdrawn vampire hunt. I won't spoil the ending for you.

One of the things that irritated me most with Dracula (and I wouldn't say I am a feminist) is the constant repetitions from Van Helsing to Mina Harker about the 'woman's weakness' and how fragile a state of mind she has. She seems one of the most with it characters for heavens sake!!

I am just so disappointed with 'Dracula'. I mean it has SO much potential and after everything I've heard about it I expected so much more. The first few chapters were so gripping and I couldn't put it down. If it had continued in that vein, and not drifted to Plymouth to deal with some random girl called Lucy I may have rated it higher.

0 comments: